Monday, March 19, 2018

May 2017 - Emily Turns 30 and the Start of Summer

In May we were back at the Tulip Festival at the Ashton Gardens, this time with my mom, Kim, and Camry. Again, it was beautiful and we treated ourselves to some food from the booth!







It was my 30th birthday! Jason surprised me by taking the day off of work. They made me a delicious breakfast and I opened gifts of a new frying pan and a portrait lens for our DSLR. I was VERY excited! We decided to keep Charlie home from preschool and went to Farm Country at Thanksgiving Point. For lunch we went to Slab Pizza. Then we took the boys to George and Nancy’s so they could tend them while we went and saw the new Kong movie. We enjoyed it quite a bit. Then we were off to Jason’s soccer game. George and Nancy met us there, bringing the boys and watching the game with us. We took the boys home with us at that point, stopping at Cafe Rio for dinner. Jason bathed the boys while I went and picked up some Swig cookies to share before bed. To end an already great day we watched Lion at home. It was a TERRIBLY great movie! I seriously cried the...entire….movie...hard sobbing! I just couldn’t take it. 



Testing out the new lens:

Farm Country:







That Saturday we planted the garden; it’s a lot of work, but we always enjoy it (I guess that is easy for me to say, since Jason does 95% of the work). We planted three rows of corn, tomatoes, cantaloupe, broccoli, and peppers. That night we went to Riverton to celebrate my birthday with the Grubers. We watched Alex’s flag football game, but it was crazy windy, rainy, and cold. We were going to have dinner at a park, but it was just too cold, so we went back to Gruber's new house to eat pizza, open presents, and have Skor cake. Yum! The kids had a ball playing together there in this new space. 


Our first strawberry harvest!




The next day was the birthday celebration with my family. We had pork ribs, heavenly potatoes, fruit salad, and Jason made a delicious carrot cake. 



An early Mother's Day gift to my mom: A photo book of our Granby trip, complete with PicSkip Video Codes!











I also had a birthday dinner with my friends, Jaleah and Bryton. We went to Happy Sumo. Yum!

Wow! So much birthday fun! I am definitely very lucky!

At this point, Jason and I started “trying” for a third kid. Now that we were back from Cambodia and away from any Zika Virus danger and we had switched my “insurance” to one that covered maternity for at least a month (we now use Christian Healthcare Ministries, which is a self pay type of insurance) we were in the clear to start trying. It ended up taking us until September to actually get pregnant. 

We had a few more date nights: One night we went and saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2. We had game night with our PG friends at the Pace’s house. We had dinner at Pizzeria 712 and then played Happy Salmon and the Falling Dice game. Always a crack up with these guys! While we were at game night, Kim and Kyle took the boys to the duck pond at BYU and then set up a hammock in our backyard. The boys had a lot of fun with them. 




It is almost shameful to celebrate Mother’s Day after so much birthday fun! But yes, Mother’s Day came around and the boys were back to making me breakfast: lemon poppy seed muffins, eggs, bacon, and smoothie. Jason gifted me with some very cute sandals and a dress from Called to Surf. I LOVE it when he picks out clothes or dresses for me! That year we spent Mothers Day with the Grubers. Earlier that weekend the boys and I visited my mom and took her some gorgeous tulips. At the Grubers we had brats and strawberry shortcake. The Whites, Hymas’s, and Hadleys were also there. Unfortunately Grandma Gruber was not there with us because she had taken a fall and had stitches on her face. She did not want to be seen. We were sad to miss her. 












Complete with a few brave people tubing down the creek....
Maria had a NDE (Near Death Experience!) Yikes!


Notice the new dress from Jason!






I had a Meet and Greet with the Orchard Elementary principal, resource teacher, speech therapist, and Kindergarten teacher in preparation for the transition from preschool at Windsor Elementary to Kindergarten at Orchard Elementary. Orchard is the school that is actually in our boundaries. Charlie was attending Windsor because that is where his special speech preschool placement had been. But now Charlie would be attending a general Kindergarten class. Charlie’s preschool teacher, Miss Reay, was supposed to be there, but missed it for some unknown reason. However, even in her absence it was really nice to be able to meet the new faculty. It was very comforting and I was very excited to be a part of this school. The team seemed really great!

Jason took both of the boys to Father and Sons. He is a real trooper. They went to the cabins in Heber and they loved it! There were not that many families that ended up going and it was pretty cold. Charlie and Colson were the youngest ones there, but they loved running around, collecting sticks and logs, playing in the snow, and seeing the animals. They saw three moose, including a baby and mommy. Colson was obsessed with seeing the animals and wouldn’t drop it. They all shared a bunk bed, Charlie up top and Daddy and Colson shared the bottom. Charlie slept like a rock, but Colson moved around a lot so Daddy didn’t sleep too well. Plus it was a little on the cold side. 









While they were at Father and Sons, I was in heaven! I can’t remember the last time, if ever, I have been home in my own house by myself overnight! I was stoked! The weather was finally warming up (it had been really rainy) so I went to Cooks and bought all of my flowers and started planting. I had been mapping and planning my flower bed the whole week before; I was just so excited to do it. That night I picked up Apollo Burger, complete with a shake, and ate it on the couch while watching Vampire Diaries. Heaven! The next morning I slept in, then got up and finished planting the flowers as the boys returned. 


Beyond stoked!


My Plans:



The Before:


The After:




Jason fixed the sprinklers in the front yard. He is quite the handyman. 

We got a small picnic table for the boys to enjoy in the backyard (and use inside when needed). It has been pretty useful. 



We celebrated George’s birthday in Alpine. 


We went to the Curiosity Museum with Nancy. Always a fun adventure. 




We had a neighborhood BBQ to say goodbye to the Coburns. We were so sad to see them move to Michigan. They were our closest friends in the neighborhood. Shannon has been a dear friend and Charlie and Colson always loved playing and wrestling with Phoenix. I helped watch their kids while Shannon packed and she gave me a really cute flower pot filled with bright yellow pansies. Goodbye Coburns! Thanks for your friendship!


Robyn cried herself to sleep!

Charlie finished preschool! Next step, Kindergarten! I can’t believe it.



Last day of school:

Charlie sitting next to his best pal, Roman Markle.





Celebrating at Charlie's favorite place: Pizza Pie Cafe

For Memorial Day weekend, Jason went camping at Salamander Flats with his high school friends: Rich, Nate, and Parker. The next afternoon, Jason was home and we went to Big Springs where we enjoyed the fine weather, kicked a soccer ball around, played frisbee, flew the drone, took LOTS of pictures, explored, and roasted s’mores. It was a heavenly evening. On Monday, Jason got off work early so we went up to Salamander Flats to explore where we might camp with our little family the coming weekend. We roasted hot dogs and had a great time exploring. We did a small hike. The boys love being up in the mountains! On the way home we saw some crazy traffic in the canyon due to a drowning of a four year old and two adults. Horribly sad!


Jason with friends at Salamander Flats:

Big Springs:


















Salamander Flats:





With school officially out for the summer, I started a daily “school time” with Charlie and Colson. It was only 15 minutes long, but Charlie loved it and always made sure we did it. Colson seemed to like it too. 

We attempted another fun activity with Nancy at Thanksgiving Point, this time at the Cars 3 Preview Tour, but the line was like three hours long and it was SO hot. The boys were tired and hungry so we saw what we could from the outer borders and went to the Dinosaur Museum instead. So still a success!

Here are more pictures from the month:



Charlie's folding

Colson LOVES Aunt Erin's dogs. We found him like this when we went for a visit.

Sharing Time

We went to the movies while Jason was away camping with his friends.




Colson loves sneaking into Charlie's bed to sleep.


He also sneaks in with us....


Daddy hurt his ankle playing soccer


Visiting Kim and Kyle's house






Loving these peonies from my mom's yard!


More shots of the yard pre-planting:

No comments:

Post a Comment