Thursday, July 18, 2013

Finishing Up May

As we work our way towards summer, life starts getting crazy busy. Here are a few more things to add to our May activities:


Even though Kim doesn’t leave for her mission in Georgia until mid-August...she was ready to go through the temple and receive her endowments. With basically every single friend leaving or having already left on their missions, she was anxious to be endowed so she could visit the temple often with her friends who were awaiting their departure dates. I admire her for wanting to do it so soon. She just wanted family there, so my mom, my dad, Jason, and I got to go through with her at the Draper Temple. It was really special for me, not only because she is my little sister, but also because it was the first time I have had the opportunity to go with someone who was going for the first time. Very cool.




After the session, we met up with Bryan and had dinner at Mimi’s Cafe. Even though Camry couldn’t go with us to the temple, she still participated by watching Charlie for us. Thanks again, Camry!


This Memorial Day was more significant for me than it has been in the past. This was the first Memorial Day since both of my mom’s parents passed away. It is very typical for my family to go up to Idaho for the holiday and to visit the cemetery in Parker...but they have always been grave sites of ancestors I did not now. This year, I wanted to make certain we made it up there and could visit my grandparent’s graves. It was a very touching and tender moment to be there at their graves, bringing back all of the emotions from their funerals. My poor mother and her siblings...what a hard thing to have to go through in one year!




Hanging out with Grandpa and Grandma







The holiday weekend was quite a busy one! The Rich siblings decided it was time to sell the house, due to the cost and upkeep. There was a family that was possibly interested and wanted to move in the first week of July...so we were busy sorting through, cleaning, and moving things out (they didn’t end up buying the house, but we didn’t know that at the time). The whole family was asked to tackle the storage sheds in the yard and to move out the big items in the house. We also went through a lot of things in the basement. We worked long and hard, and couldn’t believe how much stuff Grandma and Grandpa had tucked away. The cousins didn’t really get any game playing time like we usually do in the evening, but we did manage to play some ultimate frisbee on Sunday and Monday afternoon, as well as some Steal the Flag on Sunday night. I usually hate Ultimate Frisbee, but I had such a blast with my cousins. Probably because there was no stress or pressure to be good...they just take me as I am. I played so hard that I got blood blisters on my feet!


Yes, that is a cat corpse found in the shed! Poor kitty!





Pizza break from the famous Mr. Pizza


Sorting through the things




Taking a break during Steal the Flag to celebrate Kimberly's 19th birthday



Monday night, most of my family left...but my mom, Charlie, and I stayed behind. The cousins that are my age also left to go back to their homes and apartments. My mom was staying to continue helping her sisters get the house ready and sorted. She would be the only one sleeping at the house (since her sisters live nearby), and so she asked if Charlie and I wanted to stay the rest of the week with her. I knew I wouldn’t be much help with Charlie around, but I also knew this was an important time to be there for my mom. Charlie loved roaming around in the big house. It was pretty rainy the rest of the week, so we didn’t get a lot of outdoor time that Charlie would have loved. Oh well, we got plenty of little cousin time, as Lynze, Jayden, Jack, Kaylee, and AJ were there to play. It was a hard week, but I’m so glad I was able to be there for my mom and to be able to spend some precious, fading time at Grandma and Grandpa’s house.

One of Charlie's favorite spots

And to finish up the month of May, we had a date night with Jaleah and Mark. We did what we love to do best! We got some Papa Murphy’s pizza and played some games. The game of choice this time was Ellen Degeneres’ game, Heads Up. It was a hoot! So glad we got to play such a fun game with such fun friends!

And a quick look at our garden at the end of May:



No comments:

Post a Comment