Thursday, October 8, 2015

Colson's Eighth Month

(June 6 - July 5)

For weeks, I tried to keep to an improved nursing/sleeping schedule. I wanted to nurse him only when he would wake up and then put him down for a nap after two hours of wakefulness. I did not want him needing to to be nursed to sleep; it was too time consuming, the chances of Charlie coming in to interrupt and waking Colson were too great, and it would be hard for anyone to replicate when I might be away. Some mornings he would do great for his first nap, but almost every day it was an hour of crying time before giving in, getting him up, and finally nursing him.. He would then fall asleep for 30 minutes. He wouldn’t really take good naps. Towards the end of the month, I realized he was probably hungry when I was putting him down, and that was why he kept crying. So I started nursing him in a room of activity and light before his nap and once he was done and burped I would put him in his crib. I would swaddle his legs but leave his arms out free. That worked wonderfully! I also only attempted at two naps a day, rather than trying to force three out of him. Depending on when he would wake up in the morning, it could be anywhere between 6:00 and 8:00, I would put him down between 9:30 and 10:30 for his first nap. He would sleep between one and three hours. His second nap was usually around 2:00. That really worked great. He was sleeping better, he wasn’t hungry, and he was able to do the final self-soothing to sleep. The sleeping and eating are always the hardest parts in the first year!


Colson was rolling around like crazy and started pushing up on to his knees.


He could say “ba ba ba”.


Colson was getting more demanding with things that he wanted. He was not just interested in anything you handed him anymore. He would usually reject everything at first. He was not as entertained with the same old baby toys.

Colson FINALLY started taking formula from me! But I had to keep offering it to him. He would push it away at first, like everything else, and then once he was drinking, he would drink like one or two ounces at a time. I would try to give him the remaining one or two ounces within the hour. I credited this achievement to me accidentally leaving my breast pump in St. George. Thankfully Aunt Erin was able to pick it up on her way to San Diego, but for that couple of weeks without the pump, I was forced to supplement with formula. I did not have a supply of breast milk saved up. I had to remain consistent and not give up until he could drink it.

Here are some pictures from the month:




























No comments:

Post a Comment